Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
Phil Hobbs[_7_] Phil Hobbs[_7_] is offline

Default Update: Varistor/MOV Spice Modeling

On 5/11/2015 9:04 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2015 20:58:40 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 5/11/2015 4:23 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2015 10:34:26 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 10 May 2015 08:46:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Varistor/MOV Spice Modeling has been updated.

See VaristorMOV.zip on the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of
my website. ...Jim Thompson

Encrypted!

To conceal my techniques.

Seems pretty pointless at your age, Jim. Are you ever going to pass on
all those pearls of wisdom, or are you going to take them to the grave
like King Tut?

Soon would be good, if you're ever going to.

Right now I'm making money at it. Why should I give away the store?
Does Larkin post a _complete_ schematic of his instruments and
manufacturing techniques here?

Because you're in your mid 70s. I know your dad lived into his early
90s, and was pretty sharp till the end, but there's no guarantee that
you'll do the same. What do you want your legacy to be? It's pretty
late not to be thinking about that, especially given the amount of time
and energy it will take to pass on the best of what you know in a form
accessible to young people.

John L.'s company will probably be manufacturing stuff long after he's
retired, and he isn't the sole designer, so that isn't the same case at all.

Also you vastly overestimate the opportunity cost of publishing
stuff--it's usually a net win.

My book gives away the majority of what I know about what I do, and
besides helping a lot of young folks (which was the point of the
exercise), it has been the foundation of my consulting practice. The
first edition was published when I was 40.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs