Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Oscillator Proposal

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:07:50 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Oscillator Proposal...

Suppose I have a series RLC, one end grounded, the other end driven by
a chip, how might I make that into an oscillator?

All wild ideas accepted... this is for a custom chip.

...Jim Thompson

ok, ok, putting noise through the narrowband passband was NOT a good idea
for making a 'clean' oscillator source.

So use the fact that there's a lot of 'logic' potential inside a chip, but
external connections cost a fortune...what's wrong with a set of two
variable, switchable current sources? One source, one sink to GND driving
the RLC node? The idea is to start out with very small current ramp up
until reach voltage near rail, switch OFF and turn on he other current
source, and head back down, near GND [or neg rail] reverse etc. Now
increase the current and keep doing until the voltage turns around on its
own BEFORE it reaches the voltage switch points. Make up an appropriate
rule.

maybe reverse process starrt at high current and come down in current. But
with enough stuff inside the chip, and coming up with appropriate rules,
you should be able to make a nice clean, stable output based upon looking
like a Function Generator output that is a bit independentof the Q of the
external tank.