Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

Default Oscillator Proposal

On 15/03/2015 4:07 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Oscillator Proposal...

Suppose I have a series RLC, one end grounded, the other end driven by
a chip, how might I make that into an oscillator?

All wild ideas accepted... this is for a custom chip.

It could be the serial version of the Baxandall Class-D oscillator.

http://sophia-elektronica.com/0344_001_Baxandal.pdf

Tony Williams and I discussed this here some years ago - before Tony
died. Driving a tank circuit with a square wave via an inductor implies
peak voltage that go outside the rails by pi/2.

You can cut the amplitude (and reduce the third harmonic content of the
excitation current to zero with a perfect drive) by contriving to make
the drive voltage a "modified sine wave" which is to say a three-level
rectangular wave that sits at 0V for a third of the time - the drive is
low for one third of the period, centred of one sixth of the period,
high for one third of the period and again centred for the last sixth of
the period.

Don Lancaster's "magic sines" take the idea further.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney