Fred Holder

Default Hout Bowl Skew

Hello George,

I've has a pair of them for about a year now. They are flat on the bottom, but
have a curved cutting edge because of the somewhat shallow flute. They are used
flat on the tool rest and sive a sort of shear scrape producing tiny fine
shavings to clean up the inside and outside of bowls. They work better than a
scraper for this final clean up. I did a review on them several months ago in
More Woodturning. I don't offhand remember which issue. They are a finishing
tool and not a turning tool; i.e., use your bowl gouge to do all of the turning
and then the Hout Bowl Skew to clean up the little ridges left by the gouge.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , George Tanty says...

Hi,

Anyone seen this tool in the latest Packard catalogue? Looks interesting but
wonder if it's a "gimmick"?

If any of you have taken it for a test drive, I'd be interested in your
impressions.

Thanks

George Tanty
Santa Fe