Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AC Power Surge Protection?

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Phil Allison"

** Connecting MOVs to ground like that in a *plug-in device* is prohibited
on safety grounds under EU and similar regulations as followed in most
230/240 V places - like Australia where I am.

MOVs either have or can develop after some use leakage currents well in
excess of the maximum permitted, which is only a milliamp or so for most
categories of appliances.

The only components that may be so connected are agency approved " Y caps
"
with values like 4.7nF - while MOVs and " X caps" always go across the
line.

In the UK you can buy "surge protected" multi outlet extensions like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sivitec-Swit...rge+protection

Problem is, these can't be tested with a typical PAT Tester, as they fail
the test every time, being as there is circuitry between live and ground.

** Really? You read this somewhere on the net, right?

No, I have a PAT Tester and PAT Test all the sound and lighting equipment
for a music festival.

I was told by an electrician that you have to test these as Class 2, and put
a sticker on them to say so.

** That is completely insane crap.

He must have been using illegal drugs to say such a thing and you are nuts to believe it.

.... Phil