Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default AC Power Surge Protection?

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 8:40:10 AM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:

Is there any difference in the robustness of the old tube TV versus the flat screen, when it comes to lightning etc.?

Only with regard to HDMI ports, which are *very* susceptible to lightning damage. Since the newest generation now does HDMI switching in the main IC which is BGA, damage through the HDMI ports means a new main board. I recommend my customers to use the component inputs when using cable, sat, or IP TV. I haven't seen any damage yet via bluray player.