Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default AC Power Surge Protection?

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 1:24:00 AM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:

A whole house suppressor would not be a bad idea either.

**For what purpose? An event that is so incredibly rare that the average
person won't see one in several life-times.

Every summer we see TVs come in with blown bridge rectifiers and vaporized pc traces. As long as it's confined to the primary side of the power supply it's no big deal. Any fine damaged traces on the secondary means we go no further. My own TV (1991 RCA CTC169) got whacked when I was watching it. Blew everything from the SMPS primary back including circuit traces, and was left with two other issues (odd system control vol/mute function and loss of AV switching).