Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Pioneer Pro DJ unit ...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Phil Allison"

** The owner has actually noticed and complained about this or you just
picked it up while testing ?

This is the main complaint it turned up for - "output from XLR balanced
sockets poor and distorted, phonos ok" . The owner is in some way
'connected' to the dealer that it has come to me from, and I've been told
that it is a "cash job", so probably, the item has been borrowed and
damaged, or someone else has 'had a go' at another problem, and done this
damage. There seems to be a bit of an 'air of secrecy' about it, so I
doubt
that I'm ever going to be told the truth.

** You have clear evidence of damage, likely a speaker cable was plugged
into each of the XLRs. I have seen a couple of examples where the same
error did extensive damage to a Pioneer DJ mixer and one where a Mackie
1604 desk became a complete write off after a Marshall 100W valve head was
plugged directly into a line input. That desk was on loan at the time too.

FYI: Many "balanced" XLR outputs only drive one line while the other
has a
resistor to ground ( impedance balanced ) OR is actually in input that
acts to cancel ground loop hum - aka "ground cancelling" used by many
Soundcraft desks.

I've seen this sort of thing going on, but in this case, it does appear
be a proper balanced output with both legs being driven - allbeit with
one
being via this whatever-it-is surface mount blob.

** Odd that it's only one of them - bit like locking the front door at
night but leaving the back one open. IMO, the "blob" is most likely a
fusible resistor of about 100 ohms.

BTW: I only mentioned the single driven line type of balanced output to
explain my question about the owner noticing the difference.

Yeah, all noted Phil. It is definitely odd only having one blob. It might
make a bit more sense if it was in the ground leg, but it's not. It's in
either hot or cold - can't remember which without checking. As you say,
locking the front door and leaving the back open.

Looking at the DJM 800, there's a 500 mA fuse shown in the same position.
This morning, we have tried again to get service info from Pioneer. It has
all changed recently, and they have reset all of the user names and
passwords for access to the sites. The same details used to work for the
main sales / spares account as for the service login. The new details that
they have issued to this sales outfit no longer access the service site.
Looks like they might be restricting it to *only* agents that are approved
for service as well as sales.

I have hung a couple of 315 mA sm fuses in this morning and it all now works
ok. Having spoken to the guy that sent it in, he thinks that he is happy to
call this a 'repair' and have it back like that. I would have liked to have
known what the devices actually were, but at the end of the day, you have to
draw the line somewhere if you can't get the information, and I think that
if the items are indeed some form of protector, I am happy to send it back
with low value fuses in it.

Arfa

.... Phil