Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Pioneer Pro DJ unit ...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

It looks as though the owner has managed to ****
one leg of the XLR balanced output on both channels.

** The owner has actually noticed and complained about this or you just
picked it up while testing ?

This is the main complaint it turned up for - "output from XLR balanced
sockets poor and distorted, phonos ok" . The owner is in some way
'connected' to the dealer that it has come to me from, and I've been told
that it is a "cash job", so probably, the item has been borrowed and
damaged, or someone else has 'had a go' at another problem, and done this
damage. There seems to be a bit of an 'air of secrecy' about it, so I doubt
that I'm ever going to be told the truth. Some of the sales people at this
outfit fancy themselves as being handy with a screwdriver ...

There was a 'secondary' fault / request with it, which was could I replace
the PLAY/PAUSE and CUE buttons on both sides. It is very common for these to
go intermittent or to collapse on all the Pioneer mixers and players,
because they get 'hammered' continuously as part of the way these systems
are used. However, in this case, I can't immediately find any problem with
them. They all four 'feel' ok, and seem to work. The unit is actually only
just over a year old, so a bit early for failure really. I'll change them
anyway while its apart.

FYI: Many "balanced" XLR outputs only drive one line while the other has a
resistor to ground ( impedance balanced ) OR is actually in input that
acts to cancel ground loop hum - aka "ground cancelling" used by many
Soundcraft desks.

I've seen this sort of thing going on, but in this case, it does appear to
be a proper balanced output with both legs being driven - allbeit with one
being via this whatever-it-is surface mount blob. Looking at schematics for
some of Pioneer's other Pro DJ mixers and CD units, they all appear to use a
proper balanced driver stage prior to the XLR outputs, so this one will
almost certainly be the same, I would think

http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/b...d/balanced.htm

In both the above cases, the max signal level is half that of a
traditionally balanced output.

Yes

Arfa

.... Phil