Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Pioneer Pro DJ unit ...

Only thing I can think of is to protect against plugging the outputs into
an XLR socket meant to drive a gooseneck lamp like this:

http://www.esldj.co.uk/eurolite-flex...3b-12531-p.asp

Gareth.

It's a thought, I suppose. I could imagine something like that if it was a
cheapo Maplin unit for wannabe bedroom work, but this unit is a top of the
range dog's ******** professional unit, and if you've got the money to buy
one, I guess you are going to be pro enough to have the savvy to know what a
balanced output is,

One thing that I have to say though, is that it is the worst designed piece
of gear, from a repair point of view, that Pioneer have ever had in their
ranges of pro grade equipment. For instance, to get into it, you remove the
whole bottom tray - a bit like the old music centre (bench) audio systems.
Yes, that's good as it gives access to everything in there. Except they've
screwed the power supply into that tray, so if you want to run it opened up,
you've got to leave the bottom attached and floating round the bench. So
unscrew the PSU, right ? Again, yes. Three of the screws you can get to. But
then there's others that you can't without dismantling all the cover off the
PSU ...

The board that the output sockets are on, is secured to a metal frame. You
can get at the screws through the board into the frame, but then the sockets
themselves are screwed to the frame. And can you get to those screws ? No,
because they're behind the rear plastic panel, which is part of the whole
upper case moulding. So take the board out complete with the frame, yes ?
Er, no. The frame goes right across the back of the unit, and under the main
PCB, which is also partially screwed to it. A number of the screws that
secure the frame to the upper case, are under that main board where you
can't get to them.

All of the CDJ and DJM series units have been really thoughtfully put
together to ease dismantling and repair, obviously with cutting down repair
time to a minimum being in mind, as it is pro gear that you want in service
earning you money if you are the owner. In contrast, the construction of
this unit is totally thoughtless in that regard.

Arfa