Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default One last ESR question

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 1:17:42 AM UTC-4, PHALLUS-SON wrote:

** FYI: I happen to be a personal friend of Bob Parker, the designer of the famous "Dick Smith" ESR meter.

If I call Bob Parker, do you *really* think he'd admit to being your friend? Do you think anyone would? LOL!!

** Then you will be ****ing up a perfectly good Wiki with asinine crap.

.... Phallus-son

Well, looks like someone already beat me to it. From Wikipedia:

Limitations
An ESR meter does not measure the capacitance of a capacitor; the capacitor must be disconnected from the circuit and measured with a capacitance meter (or a multimeter with this capability). Excessive ESR is far more likely to be an identified problem with aluminium electrolytics rather than out-of-tolerance capacitance, which is rare in capacitors with acceptable ESR.

See if you can understand the words "far more likely" and "rare" in the above. They mean that Phallus-son hasn't seen everything nor does he know everything. But you've been consistent over the years; you've NEVER admitted being wrong once.