Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Keimah Keimah is offline

Default Help with LCD monitor problem

"mike" wrote in message
On 4/23/2015 1:29 PM, Randy Day wrote:
In article ,
says...

[snip]

It powers up and detects input signals - and goes into
standby
when it doesn't receive one - but the screen stays lit up for
only about 2 seconds after power-on. It displays whatever
image
is present when powered on - whether it's the manufacturer's
logo
or a desktop image - and then abruptly goes dark. Even while
it's
lit, the display is rather dim. Not quite hard-to-see dim but
considerably dimmer than normal viewing brightness level. It
seems to be uniform over the whole screen.

Assuming that your buyer viewed the device on a computer before
purchasing it,
and it was OK,
Something happened in shipping.

Yes, he observed it in operation both at the seller's place and
at his own. He's a typical techno-savvy young man and I'm
confident that he would have noticed any major fault.

A broken backlight is more likely than a bad cap in that
scenario.
If one of the backlights is damaged, you'll see the other one
light
until the protection circuit shuts off the inverter.

At the moment I'm inclined to think that's the case.

I've seen more than one where the cap in the supply
to the inverter was the cause. High ESR...overvoltage peaks...
took out one of the fets in the high voltage inverter.

Will check that.