Posted to sci.electronics.repair
M Philbrook M Philbrook is offline

Default One last ESR question

In article ,
says...

Okay, I know that electrolytics are the most likely to fail. However why do the manufacturers of ESR meters discuss ONLY electrolytics? do ceramics etc. not have an "equivalent series resistance"? Can they also be checked?
Thanks for putting up with me and your previous answers.

Ivan Vegvary

You can check any of them if you wish but keep in mind
that the value of the cap to start with has to be up to
minimum size before the meter can even get a valid reading.

If you pick a meter that has a high base freq you'll do beter.

We have one that has a 100khz test scale and can be used for
low value caps. We use that scale mostly when checking poly type
caps.

Electro's are the most noted problematic type caps when it
comes to ESR issues, but poly wraps can also give you some fits
and the types that have crimped terminations internally.

Jamie