Posted to sci.electronics.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Can a TV camera be blinded by IR?

Per :
A friend of mine has a neighbor who has stuck a small video camera in his bedroom window to spy on the friend's yard. The problem is in clear view of the camera is the friend's 14 year old daughter's bedroom window. The neighbor claims that the friend is running an illegal business out of his home and the camera is there to try to catch him at it.

I run my cams at 1280x720 with 6mm lenses. During the day, there
*might* be enough detail in the frame to embarrass somebody if they were
out in the open and within 50 feet of the cam.

Indoors, behind a window, I would opine that the chances of - for
instance - facial-recognition-level detail are vanishingly small.

At night, just forget the whole thing.... totally unrealistic unless
there is a 9,000-lumen floodlight illuminating the subject and the
subject is less than 25 feet away.

OTOH, as you kick up the lens' mm, detail gets better. OTOOH, the field
of view shrinks...
--
Pete Cresswell