Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.horology
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Sankyo Digi-Glo clock from 1970s

On 15/03/2015 22:46, Cydrome Leader wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
A charming little video of the innards of one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYoD25BlSM4
I've agreed to look at /repair? one that is running fast. Anyone
familiar with clockwork mechanisms here? Curious on-demand presumably
battery powered clock-spring winder process it seems.
Not seen it yet, will turn up next week sometime

Can't help with the repair, but wow that thing is weird. I recall a
similar "mechnical" type digital clock that had a complex mechanism to
move shutters back and forth in a 7 segment patterns to display the time.
It lacked the big wheels like this one. I have no idea what company made
this type of clock or when.

I know little about clocks but my favourite escapement is the Congreve,
shame it is the most useless for timekeeping.
Dunked clockwork and motor switch in 3 minutes of meths in the
ultrasonic bath and the obvious nicotine gloop disappeared.
The escapement needs a minimum of 80gm of force on one of those 6
spigots (6mm radius) to maintain function = 4.7x10^-3 N-m ?. So 150gm
minimum for that 8.5mm ext diameter torsion spring looks achievable with
plastic cogs.
I suspect an earlier version used the 3 arm trip that moves the minute
drum, every 1/3 turn,to reset the motor. There is a blanked off section
that protrudes into the motor section which otherwise is not required in
this model.
Perhaps for some reason they had to move to a self-timed motor on-off
timing and so that double cam mechanism in this version