Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default good quality magnifiers

mike wrote:

I have a Unitron ZSM stereo zoom microscope.
Unaided, I have to get the lens too close to the work to do anything.
For inspection, it's fine. If you want to work under it, it's difficult.
Also has a lens that extends the working distance at the expense of
viewing angle. Also has the fiber optic illumination from a ring around
the lens.
It's still hard to get a soldering iron under it to work on a
circuit board.
Also has the mount that extends up to two feet from the base support
and can move up/down to accommodate thicker parts.

Yes, there are microscopes specifically made for assembly and other
manual tasks that have MUCH more working distance than those made
just for inspection.

I make my own LED ring illuminators, they are pretty simple to
make. A piece of PC board, cut a groove to make two concentric
copper rings, solder LEDs and resistors to the rings, add a
wall-wart power supply. Best to make the PCB ring on a lathe,
but it can be done by hand, too.

Jon