Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno is offline

Default Testing a pm dc motor

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:50:23 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

On Thu, 5 Mar 2015, Paul Conners wrote:

180 vdc, 1 hp, pm motor.

with dmm what should be the first tests? motor is in a difficult
location to examine visually so i'd like to start with electrical
evaluation.

it measures 1.2 ohms between the 2 armature leads.

thanks.

The faq, http://www.repairfaq.org has some words about the testing of
DC motors, though I'm not sure where.

I think Sam did write something about checking CD player motors, and I'm
sure he gave tips on figuring out whether it was good or bad.

Michael

Not likely that his info is pertinent for 180 volt motors of that size,
when his info is for miniature DC motors.

The motor types likely differ as well.