Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default good quality magnifiers

I have a pair of magnifiers that I use in the shop for working on small stuff. I picked these no name, no markings, made in India glasses up for about 8.00 at a show several years ago. They have two glass lenses, an elastic headband, and as for as magnification goes I would compare them to about a pair of 2.5 reading glasses. and unlike the cheap plastic lens types that are out there, surprisingly there doesn't seem to be any objectionable optical distortion with these. The only problem with these glasses is the working distance of 6 or 7 inches.

I was talking to my dentist recently about the magnifiers that he uses. he seems to have what he needs as far as magnification and with a 2 foot working distance to boot. I asked him about the glasses and he couldn't comment on the technical specs of them except to say that he purchased them while in dental school, and that they were hundreds of dollars.

I also use a jewelers loupe for very small things, and although the magnification of that reveals a whole different world to me the focal length of 2 inches or less is very difficult to work with.

Does anyone know if it is possible to see what my dentist, or a surgeon for that matter is seeing for a reasonable price? Thanks, Lenny