Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP OfficeJet 7000 service manual?

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:37:51 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I think this is about a $ 400 printer and not one of the $ 100 or less
units. While $ 400 may be low end to some, I would think it may be worth
repairing if done by the owner.

Googling for prices finds that this was a $1200 list price printer,
that's still selling new for $1000 and refurbished for about $500. I
agree that it might be worth repairing.

Many manuals say "no user servicable parts
inside". I guess that they are mainly referring to a fuse that can be
replaced by someone that has almost no knolege on how to repair things.

That's part of it. Todays user manuals are really wholesale
repudiation of responsibility and liability documents. Some user
manuals have more legalese than user or technical information. There's
also the "you didn't warn me" section, where improbable stupidity is
neatly documented should some user injure themselves and then claim
that the manufacturer is responsible because they were not warned of
the danger.

While most users are not equiped to service devices, some are if they have
the correct manuals and can obtain the needed parts.

Long ago, I designed consumer products. In one case, the service
documentation was delayed about a year due to lack of adequate
staffing and time. During that year, we had few difficulties with
warranty returns and field failures. As soon as the manuals were made
available, the broken products began to arrive by the truckload. Most
had obviously been damaged by either the customer or the company's
authorized dealers. Management was tempted to "accidentally" delay
future service manuals.

I will agree if the printer is in the $ 100 or less class they are hardly
worth the time and effort to repair. The ink that comes with a new printer
is almost worth the cost of a low end printer.

Yep. It's worth even more if the cartridge includes a refill
protection chip. Extra credit to HP inventing a print cartridge
expiration system:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01764161

--
Jeff Liebermann