Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Of battery terminals & grease

Fester Bestertester wrote:
There are some members of electronic forums that suggest coating automotive
battery posts with grease ("any king--axle, lithium, copper") before
attaching cable-end clamps to the posts and swear that it doesn't affect the
connection adversely.

Are they nuts? Grease between terminal elements?

What grease--if any--is best, inside or outside the terminal connection?

Thanks.

I used to put some kind of lube on. I guess I still do. I seem to recall
old radio books saying to use Vaseline. I always rock the clamp into the
posts. Seems like lube would help it get down deeper. I'm seeing new
recommendations of spraying the completed connection with fast drying
varnish or lacquer, instead of greasing the whole thing, assuming it's
clean.

Greg