Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
m II m II is offline

Default Of battery terminals & grease

On 15-02-24 11:36 AM, Fester Bestertester wrote:

Are they nuts? Grease between terminal elements?

What grease--if any--is best, inside or outside the terminal connection?

The only purpose of the grease is to keep the elements out of the
connection. Clean terminals and clamps thoroughly. Use baking soda mixed
in water if there is any encrustation and keep the resulting froth out
of the battery cells. Dry with a paper towel then smear everything with
Vaseline and reassemble. Tighten. wipe any excess forced out Vaseline
off. It's worked for thousands of users for the last few eons. A few
posters seem to think 'dielectric grease' means conducting...it doesn't.

In the electrical field there is an anti-oxidant grease called No-Alox
or Penetrox. It's a greasy paste with what may be metallic particles in
it. The only purpose of that is the same as above..it keeps
moisture/oxygen out of the joint to prevent aluminium or copper oxides
from forming. Those are non-conductors, as is the anti-oxidant paste itself.

mike

--
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my
reasons for them!

Friedrich Nietzsche