Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repair of HP inkjet printer "Cartridge missing or defective"

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 21:18:20 -0800, DaveC wrote:

HP OfficeJet 7000 (E809a) wide-format (A3, ledger, tabloid, 297x420 mm,
11.7x16.5 in), 4-colors.

Utility on the computer wouldn't print but instead it reported problems with
the cartridge. The cartridge was recent (certainly not empty) original HP.

I presumed it was contacts between the head carriage/cartridge holder and the
cartridge. I cleaned both the pins in the carriage and contacts on the
cartridge with Q-tip--no joy. I then took pencil eraser to those pins &
contacts--no joy. If I had an ink eraser handy I would try that next. But the
next for me is a fiberglass burnishing pencil used for cleaning up corrosion
on PC boards:

http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d0226...4mm/dp/2102028

GENTLY brushed each pin and contact (this is a coarse brush and removes lots
of gold if you're not careful), cleaned with Q-tip and alcohol, and
reinserted the cartridge.

Problem solved.

Nice fix. Did you clean the printer contacts, ink cart, or both?

I usually clean the printer with ammonia or alcohol and the cartridge
with a pink pencil eraser. The problem is usually NOT splattered ink
on the contacts, but rather the grease used to lube the moving head
somehow migrating to the contacts. Looks are deceiving as the
contacts way look clean, but often are not. Brushing with a brush or
cleaning with a Q-tip doesn't seem to be sufficient. I have to take a
cloth rag, some solvent/cleaner, and rub to get the contacts clean.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D