Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Shaun Shaun is offline

Default Car alternator failure -- twice!

"rickman" wrote in message ...

On 2/16/2015 10:16 PM, Sparky wrote:
Do you happen to have quadruple 300 W audio channels on board?

No, mostly stock old Toyota. Only additional load is Xenon lamps. These
pull
10A total which isn't much for lights...

Maybe I'll upgrade the alternator to a later-model Toyota 70A or such.

What is your current unit rated for 60A?

I replaced the 70A alternator in my truck when a diode opened up. It
was still working, but not enough juice to charge the battery when the
lights were on and I run the headlights all the time, lol. Nothing ever
got fried though.

What is your alternator model number? What year? Mine is a 97 T100 and
I found they changed the alternator in mid model year (around April,
IIRC). Causes a lot of confusion on what is the right model. I tried
finding a replacement diode bridge. *That* was the major change and was
incompatible between the two versions. When looking for parts be sure
to use the VIN to get the right one.

I ended up getting a used alternator and it is running ok now...
although it is in the shop for a clutch. They've ordered two so far.
The first pressure plate "collapsed" whatever that means and the springs
on the second weren't right. They are giving NAPA some hell over this
and are getting an upgraded one to put in my truck. Hope to have it soon.

--

Rick

A 70 amp alternator is not a very large capacity one. I think my old 1999
Mercury Cougar has a stock replacement 110 amp alternator. I burned out the
first one using dual subwoofers and an amp that I added. I took out the
subs and replaced the battery too after replacing the alternator. I live in
central Canada where it gets really cold, so I put a charger on the battery
two or three time during winter to keep the battery at top charge. If you
are making short trips with your vehicle, your battery does not have enough
time to recharge between starts and eventually the charge will keep
decreasing which puts a heavy load on your alternator right after starting
it.

Shaun