Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone have a trick for getting Husqvarna chainsaw brake kickback spring back on?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 18:37:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

However, the thin
part of the ground down spring end provides much less pressure than
the thicker part.

Very interesting (and astute) observation.

In the distant past, I worked as a sewing machine "attachment maker"
in my father's garment factory. Such spring related problems were
part of the learning experience.

Ah, but *each* of the dozen times was using a different set of tools
and procedures.

After a dozen attempts, with different tools and procedures, perhaps
you might consider that something is wrong that does NOT involve the
tool or procedure? Hint: That which is most obviously correct,
beyond any need of checking, is usually the problem. In this case, it
was the rotation of the spring, which is never mentioned in any of the
videos or instructions.

In the end, I think I came up with the *easiest* and
safest way possible, which borrowed heavily from the video you found,
but, which also added the unique element of "leveraging" the spring on
from the closed end (everyone else "compressed" the spring from the open
end).

It's possibly easier, but as I mentioned, carries the risk of breaking
the plastic prong if the spring is excessively bent on insertion.
There's quite a bit of force in the spring and only a little of that
is required to break the plastic prong.

I saw your post where you thought that might be dangerous, but, the spring
isn't compressed any more in either method, so, I think it's OK, as long
as there is a temporary cover plate.

I don't have any problem exposing myself to danger. I'm considerably
more hesitant to do the same to readers trying to follow my
instructions. Think of it as litigation avoidance. Just pretend
you're writing the repair instructions for the teenage daughter of a
successful personal injury attorney.

The dangerous part is the requirement to hold the chain saw casing in
an area where the tool might land if it slips. It's considered a good
idea to think about where tools will land should they slip. I have a
few knife cuts on my left hand to assist in remembering this
principle. A vise won't work because it will tend to rotate as
pressure is applied. A backstop to push against (such as the bench
vise in one of the videos) is probably good enough, unless the casing
decides to rotate and go sideways.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D