Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone have a trick for getting Husqvarna chainsaw brake kickback spring back on?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 19:14:47 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I don't disagree with you that there is a risk of breaking the nylon
insert.

On later models, the nylon prong morphed into a metal equivalent:
http://s51.photobucket.com/user/mantidontowel/media/husqvarna/032408offhusqcorespondprocdureil-17.jpg.html
My guess(tm) is that this would not happen unless there was a problem.

The biggest risk, I would think, is that you have to do the procedure
about a dozen times before you realize the key elements to avoid, most
of which revolve around the spring bouncing all over the garage.

I was wondering why some of the videos showed little effort involved
in retaining the spring after insertion, while others showed a major
nightmare keeping the spring from flying away. Looking at a few
videos, I found that all the springs had the ends filed flat as in:
http://s51.photobucket.com/user/mantidontowel/media/husqvarna/032408offhusqcorespondprocdureil-15.jpg.html
(Sorry, that's best I could find). Theoretically, that provides even
pressure to the case when the spring is inserted. However, the thin
part of the ground down spring end provides much less pressure than
the thicker part. The vertical part of the end of the slot in the
orange case, is also not quite vertical to allow for mold release.
That means that different orientations of the spring in the slot offer
different side pressure, which is what causes the spring to buckle and
fly away. With the heavy part of the ground down end on top, the
spring is pushed down, which keeps it from being launched. With the
heavy part of the ground down end at the bottom of the slot, the
spring will buckle out of the slot, causing the spring launches which
you experienced. However, if the end of the slot is radically off
vertical, the spring will buckle and launch, no matter how the spring
is rotated.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting
different results. If it doesn't work, either try something different
or stop to figure out why it's failing. Methinks "a dozen times" is
too many.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D