Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Total Ripoff Pioneer Spares

"Martin Crossley" wrote in message
o.uk...

Phil Allison wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

I repair quite a few of the CDJ and DJM units, and they are
expensive to buy in the first place, but everyone that owns them
loves them to bits. And because of this, I've found that they don't
bat an eyelid at the cost of parts or the total repair costs. And
the thing is that as you say yourself, it might just be a knob, but
it's a unique knob that has that right 'feel' to it, so I suppose in
some ways you can expect it to be expensive. The people that own
these things are generally professional DJs, so these units are
their tools that allow them, in some cases, to earn large amounts of
money, so they expect to pay a premium to get them repaired.

** Crikey !!!

AD must deal with a whole different kind of "DJ" to the ones I come
across.

Words like "tight-arse", "con-artist", "hassler" and "whinger" cover
most of them while the rest are straight out crims or drug dealers.

... Phil

Aye, literally a world apart....

The knobs are indeed very dear for what they are, but at least they
are available and not so outrageously expensive as to render the units
Beyond Economical Repair for a fair charge for obtaining and fitting a
couple of them.

Martin.

Well I don't have the quote to hand now, but I originally ordered 1 switch,
1 pot, 1 SMD CAT5 socket and 4 knobs.
The total was well over £100 - that's well over $150 of your dollars if you
live in North America, and well over $200 if you descend from a criminal and
live in Australia and hate DJ's.

I think it was actually in the £130's so add about 30%.

So after adding a reasonable mark up on parts and a couple of hours labour,
you have a fairly hefty bill for what seems like simply replacing 3
obviously physically broken things and 4 knobs.
Not much brains required to diagnose the faults even.

I don't like that much cos it looks like I am ripping them off when I
certainly am not. Pioneer are.

Harrumph.

Gareth.