Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Total Ripoff Pioneer Spares

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
I'm sick of this ****.

Someone brings me a Pioneer mixer or CDJ to repair, and I need to order
spares.

Get this. A KNOB costs £15.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DJ...em258036 6f8f

How do they get away with this?

I repair quite a few of the CDJ and DJM units, and they are expensive to
buy in the first place, but everyone that owns them loves them to bits.
And because of this, I've found that they don't bat an eyelid at the cost
of parts or the total repair costs. And the thing is that as you say
yourself, it might just be a knob, but it's a unique knob that has that
right 'feel' to it, so I suppose in some ways you can expect it to be
expensive. The people that own these things are generally professional
DJs, so these units are their tools that allow them, in some cases, to
earn large amounts of money, so they expect to pay a premium to get them
repaired.

Arfa

Geoff.

I don't work on many CD-J units, but I've got a CD-J800mkII in right now and
having trouble nailing down the problem.

Basically it acts like the clamper magnet is much too strong. When the mech
goes to lift up the disc off the clamper, it encounters too much resistance
and the white nylon rack gear at the top slips and ratchets. The disc cannot
eject until I help it by lifting up the clamper with my finger. Requires
quite a bit of extra "help".

Sometimes the laser assy also acts gummed up at the inside circumference and
cannot contact the limit switch. It's not the stepper motor, and I cannot
confirm bad lube.

Any ideas?

The Pioneer guy I talked to was clueless.

Mark Z.