Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Anyone have a trick for getting Husqvarna chainsaw brakekickback spring back on?

Jeff Liebermann wrote, on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 20:28:20 -0800:

For rotating the chain lock, I shoved two screwdrivers on opposite
sides of the mechanism, and rotated it with a larger third screwdriver
as a lever arm. It was clumsy, but worked well enough.

Hi Jeff,

With a two-foot long pipe wrench and a special tool that I made,
rotating the chain lock turned out to be very easy!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8565/1...2d399445_c.jpg

The problem was that the spring sprung the moment I removed
whatever it was that was holding down the spring!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7339/1...3e06db33_c.jpg

I lost the spring EVERY SINGLE TIME I removed the covering holding
the spring down!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7289/1...f917358b_c.jpg

The trick was to use the cover plate for only HALF the procedure!
Without the female socket I made, it wouldn't have worked.

But, once I realized how EASY it was to twist the chain lock
with the tool I made, I then realized that the easiest solution
was to put the black plastic holder back on first, and THEN twist
the chain lock.

Voila!

The secret is having the right tools, and knowing the right
sequence. For example, NOBODY came up with the idea of removing
the circlip, which turns out to be the EASIEST way to get the
spring into the first position.

I'll write up a textual HOWTO so others can benefit.