Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Anyone have a trick for getting Husqvarna chainsaw brakekickback spring back on?

Jeff Liebermann wrote, on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 20:28:20 -0800:

Of course, as soon as I released the bench vise jaws, the 2x4 fell
out, and the spring went flying. So, I did it again, this time
holding the 2x4 to the spring with a woodworking clamp.

Hi Jeff,

I solved it, sort of like how you did, thanks to your help and
advice, and to the various suggestions in the videos (and to
one innovation on my own that was shown nowhere else).

While, in the end, I learned how to do it in just five
minutes, it took probably a dozen attempts overall to
come up with the following strategy using the four
hints below, one of which was never described anywhere
as I came up with it on my own).

TRICK #1: Make a cover plate (as described in one video):
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7453/1...72e71525_c.jpg

TRICK #2: Make a female star tool (as described in another video):
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7292/1...b7dd9775_c.jpg

TRICK #3: Remove the circlip & pry up (not described in any video):
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7289/1...2786b3ea_z.jpg

TRICK #4: Only use the cover plate for HALF the procedure!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7282/1...babda7ea_z.jpg

After I built the tools for tricks #1 and 2, and after I came
up with the unique procedure for trick #3, the final task,
using trick #4 was trivially easy.

While coming up with the procedure took hours, if I were to
do it again tomorrow, with these tricks and tools, it would
take about five minutes, and probably work the very first time.

Thanks for all your help and advice. The video you provided
kicked off all the good ideas.