Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone have a trick for getting Husqvarna chainsaw brake kickback spring back on?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 00:24:44 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Ah, I see where I went wrong!

Look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usP5XaXO7-8

The two steps a
1. Getting the spring in (not too hard, once you get the hang of it).
2. Unlocking the chain brake (this is the harder part).

What he did differently is that he left the duct tape on
when using the chain brake to unlock the spring.

I agree with him when he said at 1 minute and 35 seconds "good ****in' luck"
using the pliers to spin the chain lock clockwise to unlock the brake.

I'm gonna try again, using the prybar method to get the spring
in, and then the duct-tape method when unlocking the brake.

I've only done this once, about 10 years ago, on a similar Husky chain
brake mechanism. I had the same problem, where I couldn't compress
the spring because one end had a plastic center prong blocking any
kind of spring compression tool. So, I used some large pointed
pliers, similar to what was used in the video. I didn't think of
using a piece of scrap metal to old the spring in place, so I just put
a 2x4 over the spring, and LOOSLY clamped the sandwich in a bench
vice. The back end was propped up against the bench so that I could
apply pressure to compress the spring.

I had problems with the pliers, so I made a tool for the purpose. I
slipped a small hose clamp around the pliers and placed a nail ahead
of the hose clamp in the jaws of the pliers. The idea was that the
nail would provide something to push against two sides of the spring
while the hose clamp kept the nail from slipping. That worked.

For rotating the chain lock, I shoved two screwdrivers on opposite
sides of the mechanism, and rotated it with a larger third screwdriver
as a lever arm. It was clumsy, but worked well enough. Or, you can
make a special tool:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/outdoor-gasoline-electric-powered-equipment-small-engines/346696-husqvarna-460-chain-brake-stuck.html

Of course, as soon as I released the bench vise jaws, the 2x4 fell
out, and the spring went flying. So, I did it again, this time
holding the 2x4 to the spring with a woodworking clamp. Eventually, I
was able to slither the spring cover between the spring and the 2x4,
reattach the screws, and live happily ever after.

These might also help:
http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/18020/Husqvarna-s-built-in-chain-brake-problem-repair-how-to
It's very long, but there's quite a bit of useful advice in there.
http://s51.photobucket.com/user/mantidontowel/profile/
Here's his method of spring compression:
http://s51.photobucket.com/user/mantidontowel/media/husqvarna/032408offhusqcorespondprocdureil-14.jpg.html?o=40

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D