View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Nobody Would Ever Figure This One (amp)

This is worse than the adjust vertical height to correct a greyscale problem.

Had this JBL Pro powered sub with a Crown 600 WPC amp in it. They did everything they could to make it impossible to service of course but I did it. Model MP418SP.

Symptom was that it would power up and then when you put input to it it would start clicking, LOUD. And then it would not stop.

Ran it down to a bad connection to one of the main filter caps. the negative one IIRC. Yup, the negative one.

Must have been an oscillation set up with the protect and mute curcuits, something like that. I never thought an amp would act like that because of that fault.

You know, ther are a few things about Crown, well I am not impressed. It's not just that heir prints are hard to follow, they all are. It's just some of the things they do, especially when it comes to the build.

Jaros from Poland told me "Don't use logic to fix things, it does not vork".. I am stsarting to think that many times, that statement is correct. I was about to start looking into the active crossover and all this, got the print (well part of it) and all that. Then after hours I ge thte thing apart enough and see this. Damn.

If you ever get one of those MP418SPs in be sure to charge alot of money. Of all tthis other ****, they used silicone to put the one corner of the board down, and the rectifier is screwed to the plate where you can't get your hand in there.

Well at least the screws were not ****ty or easily strippable or stuck. I can give it that much. But really, I hope I never see it again.

Tick tick tick, LOUD, and it would not start until you put input to it, and after that it would not stop until power down.

How come it even came out of protection in the first place ?

Rant over.