Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones[_3_] Chris Jones[_3_] is offline

Default Transformer winding direction

On 16/02/2015 04:55, mike wrote:
On 2/15/2015 3:46 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
mike wrote:

if you say so.

** Wot a smug prick you are.

Seems to be your opinion of everyone.

As long as you stay out of saturation,

** No chance - you are all wet right now.

the main component of the
primary current is due to the shorted secondary.

** The secondary is not shorted.

Once again, your signature condescending tone declares that
the other guy is always wrong.
Once again, you nitpick instead of attempting to understand.
Communication is difficult enough, even when you try.
When you try NOT to understand, you're just being you.
I'm sure you win a lot of arguments when the other guy
just gives up trying to influence your thinking.

My presence in this thread is to help others get the most
out of their MOT welder. I gave up trying to influence you
long ago. Just trying to give some balance to the view.

I think I'll give my SCR the benefit of switching on when there's zero
voltage.

** More fool you.

There it is again.

... Phil

Although he is rude, Phil is usually right, and this time is no exception.

I suggest you get a hall-effect current transducer connected to a DSO so
that you can measure inrush current, and try out switching the
transformer on at both the peak of the mains voltage, and also at the
zero-crossing, and look at the current waveforms. When you run out of
working triacs you could also google it.

The key to understanding this is to realise that the magnetic flux is
proportional to the time-integral of the applied voltage, and that in
continuous operation the flux is normally close to zero when the voltage
is close to maximum, and the flux is close to maximum when the voltage
is close to zero. Have a look at the first link he

http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentD...=CS&DocLang=EN
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/inrush.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_...t#Transformers

Chris