Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Scotophor Scotophor is offline

Default WANTED: Obsolete Component LED Rectangular Light Bars

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 8:43:28 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Well, then give us a cost.

How much will you spend for what you want? Because, otherwise, yes, we're getting into possibly pointless speculation here as opposed to comparing and contrasting the pros/cons - which is what I think you are preferring. In that regard, cost either can be an issue or not.

Whether this is business or a hobby for you, other people are trying to give you recommendations without anyone having specified an exact cost (above which you don't want to pay). If you are willing to devote endless dollars, then companies can make you an exact custom order. On the other hand, if you are straight off of the street looking for ideal scrap, then say so.

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. Although I didn't ask for recommendations, I have considered them all.

Cost is definitely an issue. This is a hobby project for me but I'm not the only person interested. For small quantities, say 20 pieces or fewer, I might pay up to USD $5 each. The reason I didn't mention a price previously is, once there is a price mentioned, it's very difficult to find someone who will sell for less than that... even if they previously would have sold the same item for 50 cents each, without having a price reference available.

As the cost per piece goes down, I might buy larger quantities, up to several hundred pieces. This would enable me to offer either multiple copies of the project item, or the surplus LEDs beyond my own needs, to others in the hobby community. I believe that it will not be cost-effective to fund a new production run of custom manufactured LEDs for such small numbers. I doubt any manufacturer would bother for less than 10,000 pieces (or the equivalent cost thereof, for any lesser quantity).

I object to your word choice when you wrote, "if you are straight off of the street looking for ideal scrap." That phrase is loaded with negative connotations. I already wrote that I was looking for vintage parts. This should have been enough for you to infer that my quest is not for business purposes.