AHilton

Default Extreme newbie questions inside

Ahh, ok. I thought it was related to the use of a chair somehow. g I
couldn't figure out how the chair and/or the lathe with the chair was going
to be making a whole lot more sound than just the lathe itself.

In general, it really depends on the lathe. Some squeal and run loud and
some are as soft as a computer running. What lathe do you have and maybe an
owner of the same lathe can comment on that. A good lathe won't be really
loud. Of course, it depends on the type of turning you'll be doing too.
Thin walled bowls can do some squealing on their own! If you have to wear
hearing protection, you've not got a great lathe or something is wrong with
it. The clothes washing machine is far far louder than I'd accept in a
lathe.

- Andrew

How loud is the machinery and the actual wood removal? I probably
would have to do this in a closed room inside the house.