dave in fairfax

Default Extreme newbie questions inside

slipslidinaway wrote:
The simple ? is... do I need hearing protection during?

It can never hurt, but a lot of turning is listening to the sound,
and the feel of the tool as it cuts the wood. I don't use hearing
protection, but if I can't hear the birdies over the turning, I'm
doing something wrong. If you are brand new to turning you need
to be able to hear what you are doing, as well as feel it. I
can't recommend that a person not use protection. This is America
where lawyers reign supreme. You'll have to make that call
yourself. You could try some spindle work w/o it to see wha tthe
volume is like and make your decision based on that. If you are
going to be in a closed room in a house then a good mask and dust
removal equipment are crucial. The Dust Collector/Shopvac will
make more noise than your lathe and the cutting will. Did I
mention that's crucial, it is. Exotics and the Walnut family are
renowned for their effects on your lungs. JKust plain pine or
maple dust is bad for you if inhaled, that's why your nose is
designed the way it is.

Sorry about the lack of a cut and dried Y/N.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work