Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Flat Screen Monitor went Black

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 20:57:36 -0600, wrote:

I was on my computer when my Flat Screen Monitor went black. Just
suddenly black, no prior indication of a problem. It's a HP 1740.

It's probably not the CCFL tubes but rather the capacitors in the
inverter section, which is built onto the power supply PCB.

Thank you for including the model number. Please double check the
muddle number as it can be a 1740 or an L1740 display. If you're not
sure, tear it open and compare the photos in the following links.
There are also different mutations of the PCB.

You can buy a recap (capacitor replacement) kit for about $7.00:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330506313562 (L1740)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330502333292 (1740)
There are other kits for replacing the semiconductors, which sometimes
also blow up. If you don't feel like doing the repair, you can also
get PCB's rather cheaply:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hp+1740+board
Again, notice the different PCB mutations.

You will probably find the PCB between the two big xformers to be
overheated and scorched. If the PCB crumbles, take some epoxy and
rebuild the burnt area. Use your imagination for how to rework the
PCB traces. With a single sided board, this should be easy.

Hint: Take some digital photos as you go along so that you can put it
back together without extra screws, etc.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558