dave in fairfax

Default Extreme newbie questions inside

slipslidinaway wrote:
Severe back problems force me to ask this--can turning be done from a
sitting position? What kind of noise issues can I expect?

I had my 2nd L4-5 operation for Xmas, my first one was 12 years
ago. I find that I'm in less pain the more I turn, up to a point
%-). Apparently the slow gentle lunging motion, much like
Tai-Chi, keeps my back from stiffening up and is good, non-impact,
exercise. I DON'T do it from a sitting position, but making sure
that lathe height is correct is crucial. I guess the real
questions are, how bad a back problem and what kind, and what has
been done about it.

As for noise, a lot of that depends on technique, it'll get
quieter as you get better. Catches are noisey, chatter can be
noisey, cutting at the wrong angle can make a squeal, and
depending on your voice, swearing can be noisey too. %-)

I hope that helps,
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work