Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default MIDI (and music equipment repair in general)

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 3:55:46 AM UTC-5, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Instead of the old sound module or keyboard, you could instead use a
software sequencer with a virtual instrument. I find a physical box much
easier, but then I had one. Never bothered to install any sequence
software/sounds on the PC, way too much stuff that you need to get working
properly.

You aren't kidding about that too much stuff comment. I've had a setup that worked perfectly at home and wouldn't at a gig, because every element in the chain had to be turned on in exactly the right order (PC, keyboard, interface, piano emulation software) or it couldn't sense the other pieces. Once it took more than an hour of trial and error to get a sound.