Chuck

Default sad news from SouthFlorida

On 23 Jun 2004 00:51:53 -0700, (Nissan Teman)
wrote:

Are Silk Oak and Lacewood the same species? Reason I ask is that I have a
few BF of Lacewood waiting for the right project and, if it is the same
as Silk Oak, it may wait a Lot longer.

Silky Oak is a tree originally from Australia, also known as
Grevillea robusta.
Lacewood is another Australian tree, Cardwellia sublimis. Both are
Proteaceae,
of the protea family, but the woods are quite different in
appearance.

There are a considerable number of woods marketed variously as
"lacewood," and "leopardwood" including London plane, (Platanus
hybrida) ; the Cardwellia sublimis you mentioned, Yellow Lacewood,
(Polyalthia oblongifolia), and South American Lacewood, (Roupala
Brasilensis) to name a few. If you bought it in the States, there's a
good chance you have the South/Central American variety of lacewood.

I have also seen Cardwellia listed as "silky oak," so you can never be
sure what you're getting unless you are familiar with all the various
species, and even then you might have to do a more detailed
examination.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com