Posted to alt.electronics
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Irradiate data through open case?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 20:56:50 -0000, John Carter wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in
news
Can you pick up data from a computer without its cover on? I read
a post from someone about windowed cases allowing all your data to
be radiated out, including say.... your banking info.

NO

Unless you have a very sophisticated sniffer.

Back in the 70's when I was contracting at Eglin AFB, we were audited
by a branch of a non-disclosed government security agency. They were
trying to see whether or not they could detect data going through a
cable (1.5 inches in diameter) that connected a large disk file to a
CDC 6600 mainframe. We were surprised to learn they could detect the
movement of data (whether data or control, we don't know) through the
cable, but were unable to actually interpret the data as there were
streams of data being sent and received by more than 40 different
programs multiprogramming at one time. They never tried to detect and
interpret a stream for a single progam. And we didn't think they would
be able to do so, as there are both control ad dta signals running thru
the cable simultaneously.

SO I think you are safe unless someone knows something that I don't.

Surely if they could pick up everything going through the cable, they could separate out one communication? After all, whatever you had terminating the cable must have done so.

--
On a Continental Flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said,
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights.