Lobby Dosser

Default sad news from SouthFlorida

(Nissan Teman) wrote in
om:

Lobby Dosser wrote in message

snip

Are Silk Oak and Lacewood the same species? Reason I ask is that I
have a few BF of Lacewood waiting for the right project and, if it is
the same as Silk Oak, it may wait a Lot longer.

Hope all of the other afflicted folks are doing well.

Silky Oak is a tree originally from Australia, also known as
Grevillea robusta.
Lacewood is another Australian tree, Cardwellia sublimis. Both are
Proteaceae,
of the protea family, but the woods are quite different in
appearance. I have turned quite a bit of Silky Oak-Grevillea, always
being sure to wear a facemask and keep myself well covered, and so far
no problems. It is a beautiful wood, and easy to work and finish. But
after reading of many others having had serious allergic reactions to
the wood, I think I will refrain from using it in the future.
Nissan Teman
Pardes Hanna, Israel

Thanks for the information. I think that I will also refrain from turning
these woods. The Lacewood I have is a few boards and I think I may just
work it with hand tools. A more enjoyable way to work and, if I don't
sand, I'll have more control over contact.

LD