Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] gadgetmad11@gmail.com is offline

Default Seasoning timber.

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 2:13:40 PM UTC, Stuart wrote:
This is a topic I know nothing about.

A friend of mine had a cherry tree chopped down and offered me some pieces
of it.

The largest is roughly 400mm diameter x 200mm long (far too big for my
lathe), there are a couple of pieces 150mm d x 160mm l and some 70mm d x
200mm l.

Advice on how to season these properly for turning please.

Stuart

--
Stuart Winsor

You dont need to semi cut your "log" at all , brush both ends with molten wax , no fancy end seal is needed.. and store in a cool to cold but not freezing well aired place for 1 year per inch diameter.. so yours is 200mm/8 inches... wait 8 years and it will be perfectly seasoned... I know it sounds harsh to deny you working your wood but turning is a life not a now and then... the more wood you season the more wood will be yours in the future..

as for the pith, as it dries over the years it can be tube plugged and the ending and lasting result will be a mid ring piece of craft and not just a side grain swipe at one of the best fruit woods you can turn.

Best wishes .. Foxwood.