Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3-flute and 5-flute measuring

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 5:48:22 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud wrote:

I don't trust my 3-jaw for the sort of accuracy I'd like in this, so I
use some ER-16 collet chucks for that.

But, yeah. That's the way I do it. These are not milling cutters,
they're router bits.

Unfortunately, many of the 3-flute cutters this guy supplied have
'spurs' in the center of the cutting end (which are, -none-of-them-,
centered). So pinning them between centers is out.

I guess, what I've gotten from all of this is that, lacking a whole set
of different-sized v-anvil mic's of two anvil angles, I've pretty much
hit on the way to do it.

I was just hoping for some ancient 'automatic' technique I couldn't find
in my literature.

I'm sure Bonkers could come up with an "instant" way to do it with just
smoke and mirrors and his amazing social skills and good looks -- but I
wouldn't trust any method he recommended, anyway.

I wouldn't have seen it, anyway. He's in the bucket.

Thanks to the rest of you. At least, my method is exhonerated.

Loud

As a machining apprentice in 1993 I already knew more than Uncle Loud does on many machining subjects.