Lobby Dosser

Default sad news from SouthFlorida

"cm" wrote in
:

Several members of the Arizona woodturners association including
myself have had reactions to Silk Oak. Some were hospitalized and
others were treated through out-patient. The symptoms don't start for
at least a week after contact with the wood/dust. I tried Benadryl and
other over the counter remedies to no avail. I then went to our family
Dr. who gave me a dose pack of steroids which didn't help. Two days
later I went to the emergency room for a steroid shot and another dose
pack of steroids. I did not sleep for three days because of the most
intense itching I could imagine. It felt like I was being poked with
hundreds of 16 penny nails, it was a deep DEEP horrible itch!!! and
the affected areas swelled up.

It's not worth taking a chance on a wood species that has caused this
much misery in so many people.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

AZCRAIG

www.azcraig.us

wrote in message
In the past I've reported about one of our lifetime members being in
the hospital as a result of complications arising from turning Silky

Oak...Last
night this member passed away...His name was George Snyder..

George was a parapalegic and very active in both the handicapped
arena and turning world locally..George was a disabled vet and never
let this stand

in
his way to get around in this world..I will always remember him for
his gentle guidance and caring for the less fortunate,George was
truly a kind and caring soul and will be missed by all in South
Florida...

Rick Pixley
President Gold Coast Woodturners

Are Silk Oak and Lacewood the same species? Reason I ask is that I have a
few BF of Lacewood waiting for the right project and, if it is the same
as Silk Oak, it may wait a Lot longer.

Hope all of the other afflicted folks are doing well.