Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman[_4_] Don Foreman[_4_] is offline

Default Pulling headstock spindle on lathe

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 13:16:16 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 6/3/2015 9:56 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
... I've pried on it and hit it a few
times with a big brass hammer.

I tore down my lathe headstock once. I forget why.

Unbeknownst to me, the spindle pulley had sheared its key, jamming it on
the spindle. Many whacks with a brass hammer got it off, without too
much damage. Afterwards I noticed that the left end had been deformed
by the brass hammer! A vivid lesson in brass work hardening.
Fortunately, the deformation didn't affect anything but my pride.

So, be careful with that brass hammer. (I now only use lead hammers on
machines.)

Bob

Roger that!

I thought I'd try a few whacks hoping to get lucky. Didn't happen.
Now I think the only "safe" approach is hydraulics.