Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman[_4_] Don Foreman[_4_] is offline

Default Pulling headstock spindle on lathe

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 06:41:15 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I physically cringed when I saw that pic. It's total rebuild time,
Don.

What pic?

The lathe works fine, just throws a little oil. Doesn't need a
rebuild, just needs an oil passage cleaned out.

Chucks can get really wound up on the spindles, so sometimes it takes
a whole lotta torque to unwind 'em.

I know what you mean. I have a 9" Logan that has a 1-1/2 x 8 threaded
spindle like a South Bend, had a chuck stuck on that one a couple of
times. Engage back gear, stick 2 x 4 thru the chuck jaws ...

I've seen the cover off and a tubafore sticking in the gears, too.
Whatever it takes to multiply torque and solidify the machine prior to
that simple twisting motion. And after all that, you may hear a soft
and simple tink to indicate that it broke loose inside. That's such
a satisfying sound, innit?

Left hand screw at that, right? Been there, done that, got the tee
shirt.

Those are always fun, too. But chucks are almost always RHT, lest
they spin off whenever you throw the ON switch. The engineers got
that one right. I had a friend in high school who had a tiny old
British car. (can't think of the make right now) 3 Whitworth lug nuts
held each wheel on, and they were LHT on the left side of the car.

The chucks screw on a right hand thread, but the socket head cap
screws that hold them on is often a left hand thread -- so such
inertial torque as might loosen the chuck serves to tighten the bolt.
Example: Milwaukee electric drill
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/3002-1