Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3-flute and 5-flute measuring

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 06:12:41 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Mill a hole and mike it?

In my followup, I explained that this is on a router -- cutting
structural foam, mostly.

The holes are never the size of the bit.

That doesn't matter if you're looking for cutter diameter. A spinning
bit makes a hole its own size in a harder material (give or take a few
tenths, plus runout) right?

Further (and I didn't mention
this), it's a ShopSabre 4896 bed router with a 'best' resolution of one
mil. So it's not going to make the same hole twice, even if working only
in Z. It's a very sloppy machine, compared to a mill.

So chuck the bit in the mill or lathe and mike the hole?

Besides... this is a 'learning exercise', not something I absolutely must
do. Measuring on the lathe comes out +-0.0002 every time.

I don't want to invest in two whole sets of three-each v-anvil mics --
there are a wide variety of tool diamters, and it will take three
micrometers of each anvil angle to span the range of both the 3-flute and
5-flute cutter collections.

I'd never even heard of a v-anvil mike until now.

I've got to study that, too. It makes no sense to me that he was using
5-flute cutters on foam... But there might have been a reason I don't
see, yet.

Ayup. What are the chances that "they were cheaper", "they were what
I had lying around", or "my buddy gave them to me" came into play? The
salesman can't get rid of something so he says "I can make you a
really good deal on these blurfls!"

Once I semi-retire, I'll have time (and energy) to finish my Green
Monster and start playing with my very own CNC router. I've been
putting it off for two years now. Time gets away from you, doesn't
it?

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt