Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3-flute and 5-flute measuring

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Mill a hole and mike it?

In my followup, I explained that this is on a router -- cutting
structural foam, mostly.

The holes are never the size of the bit. Further (and I didn't mention
this), it's a ShopSabre 4896 bed router with a 'best' resolution of one
mil. So it's not going to make the same hole twice, even if working only
in Z. It's a very sloppy machine, compared to a mill.

Besides... this is a 'learning exercise', not something I absolutely must
do. Measuring on the lathe comes out +-0.0002 every time.

I don't want to invest in two whole sets of three-each v-anvil mics --
there are a wide variety of tool diamters, and it will take three
micrometers of each anvil angle to span the range of both the 3-flute and
5-flute cutter collections.

I've got to study that, too. It makes no sense to me that he was using
5-flute cutters on foam... But there might have been a reason I don't
see, yet.

Lloyd