Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default 3-flute and 5-flute measuring

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I can roughly measure a reground 3-flute or 5-flute cutter using my lathe
as a fixture, measuring the shank, then the diff to the cutting edges.

That works. But I don't own a v-mic in order to do it right. Is there
another 'standard strategy' for measuring odd-number-flutes' diameter?

I've been going through all my old texts, and they all show a v-micrometer
as the preferred method. I was hoping for some old 'shop lore' method.

Lloyd

Quickest way if you don't have a V-mic is to simply run a test cut and
measure it.

Another way if you have a mill with a DRO or known good scales is to
take a chunk of scrap. Toss an edge finder in, Bring it in and zero, Now
run it out to say .500. Put the unknown cutter in and bring it in till
you touch. Check all 3/5/7 flutes. Read the DRO and X2

Or machine up a V adapter like
https://grabcad.com/library/caliper-...-flute-cutters

--
Steve W.