Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman[_4_] Don Foreman[_4_] is offline

Default Pulling headstock spindle on lathe

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 19:52:26 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Lathe? Isn't that the horizontal kinda doohickey with the spinny part
on the left?

Yes. It's a machine used to convert round bar stock to small
cylindrical scrap very efficiently.

Is there any way to get an air hose inside to attempt
blowing out the swarf from inside the gearbox? Some of those old
boxes had some extra room in them, while others were completely
stuffed.

The whole works is inside the gearbox, behind a big gear that's less
than an inch from the chuck-side bulkhead. The drain hole goes from
just under the bearing down to below the level of the oil, slanting
from right to left going down. If I could blow it out from the bottom
I'd blow the swarf right into the bearing. That wouldn't harm the
bearing if it's delryn swarf, but it'd eventually get washed right
back into the drain hole.

I'm guessing it doesn't have the split case where you can
lift the whole top half out of the way. That would make it too easy.

Correct and yeah.

Chucks can get really wound up on the spindles, so sometimes it takes
a whole lotta torque to unwind 'em.

I know what you mean. I have a 9" Logan that has a 1-1/2 x 8 threaded
spindle like a South Bend, had a chuck stuck on that one a couple of
times. Engage back gear, stick 2 x 4 thru the chuck jaws ...

There is no chuck mounted. It's a D1-4 camlock spindle, not a threaded
one. Chucks can't get wound on tight.

Have you tried strapping
something firmly to the chuck and whoppin' on that? (I'm sorry if I'm
getting too technical for ya.)

I'm keeping up OK so far. I guess that would be easy enough to do
since the chucks are on the floor, but I'm not sure how that'd
help... G

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...manual-223545/
Jeeze, bigarse beastie, innit?

A 9" it ain't -- but it's every bit as precise as my 9" Logan and a
hell of a lot more rigid. Chatter? Wha's dat? Don' get no chatter
on this machine, uh UH ol' Son. It's not quite as "feely" as a 9"
Logan or SB but I have no problem making little teensy parts on it.

I inheirited it from Mary's dad. Well, actually, from her mom when
her dad died. I still think about old Bernie every time I use that
machine, which was several times a week when it was working right. He
was a good friend and fishin' bud.

And make bloody well sure that there isn't a retaining screw in the
very center of the chuck, like a drill chuck. That'd turn ya pink.
DAMHIKT

Left hand screw at that, right? Been there, done that, got the tee
shirt.